Tinton Falls Municipal Records
RECORD GROUP: Municipalities
RECORD SERIES #: 8600.13
SERIES: Tinton Falls
VOLUME: 16 volumes
Historical records from the borough of Tinton Falls were placed on deposit in the Monmouth County Archives and Records Center in February 2009, pursuant to a municipal resolution and a depository agreement that provide that Tinton Falls retains ownership of the records and that the Monmouth County Archives can provide access to them.
The following historical narrative about Tinton Falls was prepared by Stacey Slowinsky, Chair, Historic Preservation Commission, for the book, Town by Town: Impressions of Monmouth County (Freehold: Office of the Monmouth County Clerk, 2002):
Unbeknownst even to many residents, Tinton Falls has a history as intriguing and important as many of Monmouth County’s more prominent historic areas. Think Allaire’s 19th century ironworks is interesting? Tinton Falls had one in the 17th century!
It is believed that James Grover, one of the original patentees, first settled the village at Tinton Falls shortly after the 1665 issuance of the Monmouth Patent. Grover realized that the abundant local bog iron, combined with forests to supply wood for charcoal and the water power of the falls, added up to an opportunity for him. He and some unknown associates established an ironworks. The venture must have required more capital than Grover and his partners anticipated, for Grover mortgaged half of the ironworks in 1674 then sold his half interest to one Lewis Morris in 1675. Lewis Morris apparently had the means and political connections to make the ironworks a success. He expanded and invested in the enterprise, even obtaining a seven-year tax exemption.
A 1676 map of the tract shows the forge and other buildings associated with the ironworks, as well as a gristmill, operated by Bartholomew Applegate. Apparently, there was some problem with operating the corn mill in such close proximity to the ironworks, for in 1683 Applegate turned his property over to Lewis Morris in exchange for another 200-acre parcel of land nearby.
The Tinton Manor ironworks was a very important early industrial enterprise in New Jersey; the first iron works to be established in this area and one of the earliest in the colonies. Morris invested heavily in the venture, the largest capital investment in any ironworks before 1700. Tinton Manor was probably the first colonial ironworks to be equipped with machinery made in the colonies. Of about a dozen ironworks built in 17-century North America, it was the only one in the area south of New England to have reached the production stage/ it was structured as a plantation, and there were 60 or more slaves at the ironworks in 1680; the first notable instance of slavery on record in New Jersey.
When Morris died in 1691, he left this estate to his nephew of the same name. This Lewis Morris went on to become a very successful politician, though his conduct was sometimes controversial. He held a variety of offices, culminating in his appointment in 1738 as the first colonial governor of New Jersey, an office he held until his death in 1746. The Morris family continued to be influential in local history; a descendent (also Lewis Morris) was a member of the Continental Congress and a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Notwithstanding Applegate’s earlier abandonment of the gristmill, it must have resumed operation, for it went on to play a role in the Revolutionary War. The mill was used as a magazine for powder, arms, and military stores for the American Army, and as a result became a target for British reprisals. Three raids on Tinton Falls were recorded in April and June of 1779, and in April of 1780.
Certainly by the 19th century, and possibly earlier, the falls was also being used to power a sawmill. In 1834, Gordon’s Gazetter lists both a sawmill and a gristmill in its description of the village. Old photographs, probably dating to the turn of the 20th century, show the sawmill building on the bank of the river opposite the gristmill.
The Gazetteer also refers to a mineral spring, which “is frequently visited by those who seek health or amusement at the boarding houses near the coast.” The mineral spring, located adjacent to the falls, is referred to in early deeds as the “spa spring” and was apparently highly valued by the natives. In 1756, when Lewis Morris Ashfield, a grandson of Governor Lewis Morris, was selling some of his property, he says, “as the house is situated near the famous spa spring, it would suit extremely well a person who would keep a boarding house for the numbers that come to that spring for their health...” In fact, in 1838, Robert Morris (another descendent of Lewis) opened a boarding house in the village that became known as the Mineral Springs Hotel.
Because of the spring’s renown, a group of businessmen formed the Tinton Falls Mineral Spring Company in 1867 with authority to erect buildings and to sell and ship the water. This water, however, would turn to the color of cider and precipitate solids after standing for several hours, and was ultimately not suited to bottling and shipping.
Waterpower was the key to the early settlement of Tinton Falls and the backbone of its economic activity for the better part of three centuries. The village was established early in Monmouth County’s history and thrived by taking advantage of its distinctive natural features. The Borough acted to safeguard its rich history by creating the Historic Preservation Commission in 1990. With appropriate protection, on-going documentation, and increased public awareness, the heritage of the Borough will continue to be a source of pride for generations to come.
Scope and Content
The records consist of 15 volumes of Borough Minute Books, 1849-1865 and one volume of Board of Health Minute Book, 1951-1974, as follows:
Volume 1 Minutes, Township of Shrewsbury, 1849-1875
Volume 2 Minutes, Township of Shrewsbury, 1875-1901
Volume 3 Minutes, Township of Shrewsbury, 1901-1915
Volume 4 Minutes, Township of Shrewsbury, 1915-1928
Volume 5 Minutes, Township of Shrewsbury, 1928-1941
(divided into two volumes, pp. 1-124 and 125-300)
Volume 6 Minutes, Township of Shrewsbury, 1941-1950
(divided into two volumes, pp. 1-114 and 115-246)
Volume 7 Minutes, Borough of New Shrewsbury, 1950-1954
(divided into two volumes, pp. 1-130 and 131-240)
Volume 8 Minutes, Borough of New Shrewsbury, 1955-1958
(divided into two volumes, pp. 1-174 and 175-316)
Volume 9 Minutes, Borough of New Shrewsbury, 1959-1961
Volume 10 Minutes, Borough of New Shrewsbury, 1961-1962
Volume 11 Minutes, Borough of New Shrewsbury, 1963-1965
Unnumbered Board of Health Minutes, Borough of New Shrewsbury, 1951-1974
Note in the above table that the minutes from 1849 to 1949 pertain to the Township of Shrewsbury, which was a much larger township than Tinton Falls is today. During these one hundred years, as municipalities grew, they separated from Shrewsbury to form their own boroughs or townships: Ocean Township (1849), Red Bank borough (1870), Eatontown borough (1873), Rumson borough (1907), Fair Haven borough (1912), Little Silver borough (1923), Shrewsbury borough (1926), and finally, New Shrewsbury borough. New Shrewsbury was established out of Shrewsbury in 1950 and renamed Tinton Falls in 1975 to avoid postal delivery errors.
After 1950, Shrewsbury Township continued to exist but was much reduced in size, consisting of a housing development covering an area of 1/10 of a square mile. By comparison, the borough of New Shrewsbury was 15.6 square miles. The first mayor of New Shrewsbury, Kenneth Fields, had been the chairman of the Shrewsbury Township Committee for the previous twenty-four years and other Shrewsbury officials also obtained posts in the government of New Shrewsbury. This transition may explain why the Shrewsbury minute books became part of the records of New Shrewsbury/Tinton Falls.
There are no restrictions on the use of the material.