40A:4-6. Public advertisement
Every Budget shall be advertised after approval. The advertisement shall contain a copy of the budget or a budget summary as provided in section 12 of P.L.1995, c. 259 (C.40A:4-6.1), and shall set forth the date, the time and the place of the hearing. It shall be published at least 10 days prior to the date fixed therefor; in the case of a county, in a newspaper published in the county seat, if there be one, and if not, in a newspaper published in the county and having a substantial circulation therein.
40A:4-6.1. Satisfaction of advertisement requirements for introduction and passage of budget; contents required in summary
The governing body of a municipality or county may satisfy the advertisement requirements for the introduction and passage of a budget in the following manner:
- a. The publication of a summary pursuant to the provisions of N.J.S 40A:4-6 citing:
- (1) The totals of the major sections of the budget, including but not limited to, operating expenses, capital improvement appropriations, salaries and wages, and surplus for the previous and current budget years;
- (2) The amount of any principal and interest of any debt to be paid in the current budget year and the total amount of debt remaining;
- (3) The total number of persons employed in the previous budget year and the total number estimated to be employed in the current budget year, the municipal purposes property tax levy of the previous budget year and the estimated municipal purposes property tax levy of the current budget year, the total amount to be raised by taxation and the total amount to be received from other sources in the current budget year, and the total appropriations of the previous year's budget and of the current year's budget; and
- (4) The location, phone number and office hours of the principal municipal or county building where copies of the budget will be available to the public and the name of the person or the office to be contacted if a person wants to receive a copy of the budget by mail.
- b. The name of the municipality or the county and the budget title shall be printed in bold 16 point typeface and the remainder of the summary shall be printed in bold 8 point typeface.
2017 PUBLISHED BUDGET SUMMARY ADVERTISED ON MARCH 13, 2017
IN THE ASBURY PARK PRESS
Click here for Historical Budget Summaries (1999-previous year)