MCRC Asbestos Regulations and NJDEP Asbestos Regulation Letter
(Printable version of the same information as is outlined on this webpage)
(EXCERPTED FROM N.J.A.C. 7:26-1 et seq.)
The following constitutes the most recently promogulated regulations specific to the transport and disposal of asbestos and asbestos containing wastes. Please be advised that other portions of the solid waste regulations may also apply.
NJAC 7:26 - 2.12 Generators requirements for disposal of asbestos containing waste materials.
(a) Generators of asbestos containing material shall comply with the standards for waste disposal per 40 CFR 61-149 and CFR 61-150.
(b, c) Generators of asbestos containing material shall submit a written notification of intention to demolish or renovate at least 10 days prior to beginning the demolition / renovation activity.
29 CFR 1910.1001, App. H
[E.] Material containing asbestos that is removed from buildings must be disposed of in leak-tight 6 mil (thickness) plastic bags. These wastes, which are removed while wet, should be sealed in containers before they dry out to minimize the release of asbestos fibers during handling.
40 CFR 61.150 (a)(iv) Label the wrapped materials using warning labels stating:
DANGER: ASBESTOS CANCER AND LUNG DISEASE HAZARD
Double bag the asbestos / asbestos containing waste into the 6-mil bags. Seal the first bag with duct tape, then place the first bag into the second bag and seal that bag with duck tape. If disposing asbestos /asbestos containing material with sharp edges, at your option you can bag the material into a burlap bag or a cardboard box prior to the double bagging procedure. If the bag ruptures, you will be held responsible.
Monmouth County Reclamation Center customers must use the following guidelines in addition to what is above.
- All solid waste vehicles used for the transportation of asbestos and asbestos-containing waste materials shall be of such design so as to prevent spillage or leakage or emissions there from.
- No transporter shall transport asbestos and/or asbestos-containing waste materials unless such waste is properly packaged in accordance with 40 CFR 61.150 and NJAC 7:26-2.12.
- The asbestos or asbestos-containing waste materials shall be transported in a manner that prevents the rupture of asbestos containers in loading, transport, and unloading operations.
- Once collected, asbestos and/or asbestos-containing waste material shall be transported directly from the point of generation to the solid waste landfill or transfer station permitted to receive such wastes.
- Transportation and disposal of asbestos and/or asbestos-containing waste material shall be conducted in accordance within waste flow requirements of NJAC 7:26-6
Asbestos can not be mixed with other wastes!
For loads in excess of 5 cubic yards (more than 25 bags), the Reclamation Center must be called at least 5 days prior to disposal. For smaller loads (25 bags or less) MCRC will only need between 24 and 48 hours prior notice before the asbestos disposal. Know the type of asbestos when making your appointment (i.e. Friable or Non Friable). Call the MCRC scale office at 732-683-8686 ext. 5141, 5600 or 5601 to schedule your appropriate appointment. Asbestos is accepted for disposal from 10 a.m to 1 p.m. on Wednesdays and at 9 a.m. only on Saturdays.
The hauler must be prepared to manually unload truck or container into the containers provided at the Reclamation Center.
A simple 4-part asbestos notification form (supplied by MCRC) must be filled out by the homeowner / contractor. The top (white) copy of the form must be sent to NJDEP, at the address on the top of the 4-part notification form. The remaining 3 parts of the form must be submitted to the landfill at the time of disposal for each load. The 4-part asbestos forms can be obtained at the Reclamation Center Scale Office. For customer convenience, the form is also made available online, but the information must be transposed onto the "official" form once you arrive at the landfill. If you're using the online form, please go into the Scale Office (brick building to the right of the scale booths) prior to going onto the scale.
Questions on filling out the 4-part asbestos disposal form can be answered at 732-683-8686
Scales ext. 5141, 5600, 5601 or Health Ext. 5650, 5652.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
SOURCES OF ASBESTOS BAGS
- Architectural Design - Little Silver, NJ 732-741-2121
- Standard Supply - Neptune, NJ 732-922-1200
- Industrial Products of Philadelphia, PA 800-827-2338